Recipe for Bamboo Pickles:
- Cut the horn-shaped bamboo shoot in half lengthways, strip off the outer fibrous layers and then trim about 2cm off the base.
- Cut the bamboo into 5mm wide strips and add to a pan of cold salted water.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain and refresh bamboo under cold water.
- Repeat this process of boiling from a cold-water start, draining and refreshing twice more, to remove any bitterness.
- To pickle the bamboo, place the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pan, and stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved.
- Then simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until mixture is slightly reduced.
- Remove from the stove, stir in the fish sauce and the prepared bamboo.
- This keeps for several weeks in the refrigerator.